Β2.2 Decentralized Wastewater Management & Small Wastewater Treatment Systems
Introduction to decentralized wastewater management, wastewater management studies, technical and economical evaluation criteria, onsite wastewater treatment systems (septic tanks, infiltration trenches, infiltration tanks, gravel filters, sand filters), land treatment systems (slow rate, rapid infiltration, overland flow), wastewater treatment ponds (aerobic, aerated, facultative, anaerobic), constructed wetlands (surface flow, subsurface flow systems), activated sludge systems, sequential batch reactors (SBR), membrane bioreactor systems (MBR), attached growth systems (MBBR), anaerobic systems, packaged systems. The above topics are covered with the following order:
- Decentralized wastewater management: Introduction to the course, requirements, evaluation and communication methods, decentralized vs centralized management, the ‘small scale’, methodologies for the evaluation of alternative management scenarios, cost analysis.
- On-site treatment systems: Septic tanks, flush pit systems, subsurface infiltration systems (rapid vs slow infiltration), hybrid systems.
- Land treatment systems: Slow rate land treatment system, rapid infiltration land treatment system, overland flow system, design considerations.
- Wastewater treatment ponds: Aerobic ponds, aerated ponds, facultative systems, dual and hybrid systems, design considerations.
- Constructed wetlands: Surface flow, subsurface flow systems, vertical flow SSF systems, horizontal flow SSF systems, hybrid systems, design.
- Sequential batch reactors (SBRs): Mode of operation, design methodology, monitoring considerations.
- Anaerobic systems: Upflow anaerobic sludge bioreactors, mode of operation, design considerations.
- Hybrid systems: Attached growth systems, MBBR vs IFAS, design methodology.